11-18-01 Lewistown, ME

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Setlists and Reviews: Phil Lesh & Friends: 2001: Paradise Waits Fall Tour 2001: 11-18-01 Lewistown, ME
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amelia Rutter (Daydream) on Friday, November 09, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit Post

I am soooo EXCITED!!!!!!!!!
This is my first show in Maine. What is this venue like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Lackey (Rollnaway) on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 12:49 am: Edit Post

Don't know but the Leonid Meteor shower peaks at 5 am on the morning of the 18th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amelia Rutter (Daydream) on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 01:06 am: Edit Post

Night of a 1000 stars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregg Rutter (Dancingbear) on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 10:59 am: Edit Post

After likely travelling the beautiful Kancamagus Highway through the White Mountains en route to Lewistown Maine - perhaps viewing the spectacular Leonid Meteor Showers from atop a Mountain - I predict a PRIDE OF CUCAMUNGA, NIGHT OF A THOUSAND STARS, and DAYS BETWEEN.
Have Big Fun at the show!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cryptical (Cryptical) on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 12:52 pm: Edit Post

Gregg
I am heading over from VT....probably over the same route....
we should all pick someplace to meet at pre-show

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amelia Rutter (Daydream) on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 03:37 pm: Edit Post

Hey, is there anywhere in Lewiston to meet before the show? I am looking forward to a great show!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cryptical (Cryptical) on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 10:39 am: Edit Post

There's Margaritas on Lisbon.

There's a whole shiteload of places on Main Street and Sabattus Streets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry archibald (Jerr01) on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit Post

I live in Franconia, NH (check the map) in the White Mtns... great place to stay and party on saturday night... not far from the Kancamagus...
also route 302 through the Crawford Notch is quicker and also very scenic...starry starry nights... I'm excited!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cryptical (Cryptical) on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit Post

Perseids on Sunday morning too if I remember correctly..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry archibald (Jerr01) (208.242.90.17) on Saturday, November 17, 2001 - 04:44 pm: Edit Post

wow!!! just recovering from burlington... where's everyone gonna be before the lewiston show?!? PEACE & LOVE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Triptanite (Triptanite) on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 03:14 am: Edit Post

any set lists...??? love and peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron (Highway320) on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 10:32 am: Edit Post

Hey all, I'm a Mainer, though not too familiar with Lewiston. Wonder why Phil hasn't played Portland yet? Wish I knew a good meetin' spot, I'd like to meet some fellow zoners...
The wife and I will have our little 8 mo. old strapped to one of our fronts. Say hi if you think its us!
I'm hoping for a Terrapin, Viola Lee as well!
See you all there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Secondgenddhd (Secondgenddhd) on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 11:49 pm: Edit Post

the show should be over??
anyone got a setlist to save me from dying of overanxiousness?? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zen (Zen) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 01:05 am: Edit Post

set I-
jam>
friend of the devil>
tennessee jed
mason's children>
just a little light
rock and roll blues>
casey jones

set II-
jam>
lady with a fan>
the eleven>
terrapin>
jam
built to last>
i know you rider
sugaree
gdtrfb>
angel band
E:loose lucy(1st time played~rob sang)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amelia Rutter (Daydream) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 01:19 am: Edit Post

Thank you, Phil, for a real good time!

What an amazing show. Casey Jones and Terrapin were out of this world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colt (Colt) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 04:08 am: Edit Post

real mellow, lots of space, no patdown at the door. Great full sound for an old county civic center with a tin roof. The marquee read:

november 18
Phil Lesh

coming soon
november 24
family skating

Lewiston was all about the songs tonight, folks. There was very little extended jamming and few segues. The tone was light and casual. Phil and the boys could be seen taking short breaks between numbers, chatting it up with each other. The music was often bright and uptempo, seldom moody or heavy, with only bits of psychedelia here and there.

The jam out of Friend of the Devil could have been the best part of set I. Herring took an early lead tonight and remained dominant for the entire show.
About halfway through Tennessee Jed, the quintet really opened up their playing and found space to breathe, space inside the song to be smooth and loose, a place to move, all within a tremendously tight musical unit.
Mason's was pure 60s san francisco hippie music, wonderfully dated, full of optimism.
Warren got his feet wet with Little Light, one of only a few warren-sung tunes tonight. He looked content stepping back. I was pleased to see Jimmy up front, not crowded, and leading things a bit.
The Crazy Fingers tease out of R&R Blues was hot and got me psyched for boston.
Closer was good for dancing.

Terrapin->Eleven->Terrapin was the sickest shit of the night. I've not heard their playing any better than this perfectly nailed sequence. As good as it gets. Phil sounded great on vocals, deep and strong (reminded me of some of his best singing, 7/20/01's terrapin->unbroken chain). Herring was outstanding -- he plays so many fucking notes and so many of them sound so good! The interplay, the rises and falls, Rob's strong delivery, Phil's tasty bass, the pure psychedelic moments...all was perfectly realized. I'll be listening to those tracks over and over.

Built to Last was a good song to clean the palate. I've heard it three out of four shows so I'm glad I like this obscure Jerry ballad.

Rider...eh? Heard it before, not one I would have picked, but Jimmy stood it up and forced me to listen and like it. Nice solo.

Sugaree, a tune that consistently smokes and often gets opened up to ridiculous lengths, was a little more subdued tonight, but still a powerhouse. A sweet and unmistakable You Can't Always Get What You Want tease had everyone smiling and hoping they'd actually play it through. (I wonder who would have sung it...)

There was nothing wrong with GDTRFB. Everyone was dancing, feeling quite good as a matter of fact. It was almost certainly segueing into And We Bid You Goodnight when it veered slightly into another beautifully harmomized song, Angel Band, a real treat.

Sincere and heartfelt, Phil said how it pleased him to be able to take the tour and play for and with people in places that don't necessarily get much live music coming through. It thrills him to be able to share his music that way.

Then out of the closet comes LOOSE LUCY. unbelieveable! what a success! a straight-ahead version, fast and bright, probably the closest P&F come to the funk. The song was puffed up like a big balloon, full of air, getting bigger and bigger, wanting to get out over of the audience before bursting open. They'll be doing that one again real soon.

peace
headin' south

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gideon (Mobetterdead) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 06:46 am: Edit Post

thank you phil we love dancing with lucy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dewit (Dewit) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 08:36 am: Edit Post

Sympathy for the Devil once again rears it's majestic head. Remember Farmer, not until the Beacon, it's only fair. I begged first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry archibald (Jerr01) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 10:59 am: Edit Post

What an amazing f*cking show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the first time that I saw Phil and friends. A great big THANKS to Phil and the band for all thier heartfelt playing and apprecation for all the people that came out to see you.

The music is so amazing and to watch so many different people interpret it in their own heads. Thats what music should be like and may it live on forever in our souls.

We loved it and had a blast!!!!!!!!

This was Jerry's 100th + time seeing Phil
Thanks again....
Peace & Luv
Dee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Mault (Cheezphan) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 11:29 am: Edit Post

Nicole and I were able to experience this unique show. Phil is the man, too bad we had a hard time hearing his awesome vocals, thats ok we still love him. Nicole was estatic to her Sugaree, it was a nice highlight for her durning the second set. What about that Terrapin>11>terrapin? We want to say that was some pretty phat shit that they played. We're surprised they didn't sing the lyrics for WBYGN. Nicole says: Molo is the bomb!! I say: Jimmy has got some mad skills!! But we both say props to Phil, he is passionate in his playing and we eat up ever minute of it! Please come back to Maine soon, those people need more Phil.....who doesn't....we like getting Philled.
By the way, if anyone has a FOB copy of this show, i have some super dank shows to trade for it...email me.
Peace and love to you all and be safe on your journyes with P&F.
Keep the spirit alive.
Nicole and Greg

Ian...hahahaha laughing laughing fall apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cryptical (Cryptical) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 12:11 pm: Edit Post

Mason's, The 11 and Loose Lucy were nice.

Everything else was, in my mind, mediocre.

Great venue..about 2/3 full. Lots of room to dance and the Mainiacs were proper. Everyone there was as cool as the Vermont peoples.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nicole (Massappeal) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 12:22 pm: Edit Post

Play by Play

To all those kids who thought that it was Dark Star, it was just a Jam. Friend into TenJed nice opener- got the people shaking. One classic to another. Mason's children is a beautiful tune would love to know more about the song, and the secrets of the masons. dancing to hard to remember just a little light, yet, I think the backdrop lights were yellow. As well as, don't remember Rock-n-Roll blues, to much blotter. Casey
nice way to end the first set.

SET 2: going into 11 made the jam GROOOOOVY.
as a matter of fact: the whole second set was GROOVY.
this is just a glimpse of my reflections of the show.
see you all in Boston.
hugs and kisses.
nicole and greg.
i want to shakle molo to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cryptical (Cryptical) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 12:28 pm: Edit Post

I thought that GDTRFB was actually a Mama Tried in disguise at first...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colt (Colt) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 01:03 pm: Edit Post

the thing about these guys is that even when they play a "mediocre" show, they still sound fucking great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Pozzy (Redtide) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 01:24 pm: Edit Post

Very good point Colt. I thought this was the weakest Phil show I've seen in quite some time (couln't hold a candle to the 3 this summer - Great Woods, Hartford, SPAC), but I still had very fun. But it seemed like they were kinda tired, and playing a mellow Sunday night show. A few big moments, but no real sustained engery. I can't wait for Boston!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cash Elver (Elver) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 08:34 pm: Edit Post

mark???

For those of you who still doubt that inbreeding in Maine does not still exist,
I offer the following two posts.

Mark

> [...]
>> old Hockey arena where St.Doms Hockey embarrassed Lewiston High Hockey
>> year after year. Damn even those Lewiston cheerleaders were uglier.
>> The old arena is a brisk walk from the ghettos surrounding Lisbon Street
>> and is a show outside the show. Actually the sun was shining bright and
>> the temperatures were high for the week of Thanksgiving, so there was
>> actually more action down on Lisbon street than usual. About one hour
>> from the show things started to shake up in the lot. A small scene but
>> a familiar scent, vision, and sound......heads. The vender scene was
>> limited but one still could buy a beer, t shirt, hemp necklace, or
>> greasy sautéed cheese sandwich. Several dudes were offering LSD but not
>> any mention of kind bud. There were some narks dressed in dark clothing
>> wandering around the lot and making people pour out their beers. The
>> beer salesman was selling out of his banged up cooler right outside the
>> front entrance and didn't get hassled. We went into the show about half
>> hour before show time. You got to love the french Canadian work ethic
>> and pride. The arena had every Dumont behind the line frying thick cut
>> french fries, steaming up some smelly red jordan dogs, and fountain soda
>> to wash it all down. There was also a booth that was sick, selling this
>> uncooked unmelted soupy pizza, and the only thing more surprising than
>> how gross it looked, was the fact that they were selling it as fast at
>> they could barely cook them. At least the frenchies were selling food
>> for the going rate, unlike SPAC, where you will spend more money for
>> water than you would a boiled lobster off the dock around here.
>> There was a pat down at the entrance but the line was moving rapidly. I
>> carried in a lighter, several marleys, and assorted other things that
>> brought no interest to nay security. Lots of familiar faces at the
>> show, lots of Mainers, and several heads represented Vermont,
>> Pennsylvania, etc. Glad to see the heads found the conveniently located
>> Motel 6 for $50 bucks a night. Good party scene though the hotel
>> smelled like stale butts and mildew, the rooms were relatively clean and
>> there was full cable.
>> The show was super last night. Warren has a beautiful voice and really
>> gives er' hell. Phil doesn't have to baby-sit him and gives him
>> opportunity to shine in return. Phil is really proud of Warren and
>> every time they left the stage, Phil had his arm around him. Phil and
>> friends are real tight and they get better every time I see them. Real
>> Real hot tunes. Other notes of interest......The overweight cult vibing
>> wharf rats were set up with their lame candy supply and anti party
>> stickers, lots of people burning jah throughout the entire show with no
>> hassle, and......did anyone else see warren scratch his ass?? Funny
>> huh. He is the man but in my opinion black sneakers are lame, but
>> that's okay he has his lil comfy black color clothing style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gideon (Mobetterdead) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 09:02 pm: Edit Post

hard act to follow
sympathy for the devil please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pinman (Pinman) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 09:14 pm: Edit Post

"Why is the anti party warfrat group
>aloud to recruit and bring people down with their weak, untrained, addicted
>drivel? If someone needs help cause they have a monkey on their back, the
>last thing they need is some tense, untrained ex stoner possible furthering
>the escalation by suggesting an unproven course of action. I filled the
>pockets of my sweat jacket with candy and I cut a huge garbanzo bean fart on
>the table. "

This is from an above post- dude- like the slogan says- take what you like and leave the rest- no need to carry a chip around on your shoulder- especially at a Phil show! If you are intolerant of diversity then that's your problem- don't take it out on others.

The truth is that a lot of people do find the 12-step model of recovering from addiction to be very effective- it is not an unproven path. The kind of ignorance and closed-minded attitude that you display makes it harder for people to admit when they do need help and then go get it.

I don't see how having a table with a few heads offering help to those whose drug use has gotten out of hand is a downer- it should be celebrated! Heads from all walks of life enjoy Phil's music- believe it or not you aren't the center of the universe. This community especially should be proud of the diversity within it.

I used to trip and smoke like crazy. Now I don't. I still enjoy shows and the company of my friends. I also have been going to 12-step groups for over 7 years- and I must admit that my life is far better than it was back when I was in active addiction. I couldn't handle it. Maybe you can- but to go around maligning others who are only acting with good intent proves nothing, except that evolution ain't done yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dewit (Dewit) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 10:10 pm: Edit Post

If the Wharf Rat table helps people get thru the night, God bless them. I have been in recovery for almost 14 years, and know it works. Your comments are ignorant and cruel, and not worthy of the group of people I like to think make up this community. The flip side of that, comments made like that are usually derived from people who could use a little 12-Stepping.

As for inbreeding in Maine. Oh, yeah, plenty of it. I used to live there, and speak from experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pinman (Pinman) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 10:25 pm: Edit Post

on mother's day all the cars go to the same house?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stagger lee (Rueben) on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 11:01 pm: Edit Post

please keep spreading the word about mainers inbreeding. we'd like to cut down on tourists here and preserve what little is left of our coasts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cryptical (Cryptical) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 07:49 am: Edit Post

Nothing wrong with the Mainiacs.
They just have that dry sense of New England humor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By neils (Mrsmiley) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:10 am: Edit Post

thank you Dewitt and Pinman for defending us - I don't usually post here but when I read the above comments about the Rats and the Steps it got under my skin a little - I have been sober for over 2 and a half years and it is a proven path that works, and like Pinman, my life is much better today. I am glad some folks with real experience, not just speculation said something. Thanks and peace :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dewit (Dewit) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:17 am: Edit Post

Maine is beautiful and incredible snobby. No matter what the income level is. I lived in Bethel and I lived on Mt. Desert. Tourism is what keeps the state from going under, so I wouldn't try to rid yourself of all of them.

As for defending you, no, only a fucking idiot doesn't appreciate what some people have to go through to just exist on this earth. They are devoid of heart, compassion and love, and are stuck in that judgemental mire they call a life. I recognize it far too easily, because if you don't acknowledge it every day, and respect the power it has over you, back to hell we go.

Good luck, and if you ever need anything at all just email me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Huck Lewis (Huckberry) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:43 am: Edit Post

Mediocre? Oh, my friends...hardly. OC, I missed the summer so what the fuck do I know anyway. Maine is God's own vacationland...let the inbreeding stuff be a symptom (HAHA); no one wants to leave. Dewit...you did a little MDI time? Ah, let me tell you, it's still gorjus...and my dear, dear pals...Phil knows Maine is sweeeeeeeet. Once again, the uncanny sense of my world is there...Boys, thanks for feeding into my psyche and playing the MOST appropriate songs. Reviews to follow (not sure if I really can review, just TOO MUCH FUN)...but from the down home tone set by the FOTD, Jed and Masons...a Casey Jones for the record books (imo, the band was having a bunch of fun)...to the Sickness!!! - the terrapin/eleven - gotta love that beautiful crescent moon that hung in the sky over Lewiston...;) - to what I thought were some of the most electric, energetic IKYR, Sugaree, and GDTRFB I've heard in the past while...and that Angel Band cemented it...spiritual, baby, the force Incarnate. Phil was just all over the place, having a blast, it seemed. And hey...well...Loose Lucy...that's dear to me since that Spring in Landover...1990...a series that was OC all about Mr. Lesh (happy 50 phil...)...the funk, the love...all just kicking ass all over that sweet sweet mellow arena. Security? non existent. Spcae to dance and chill..EVERYWHERE. Miles from ground Zero and surrounded by all the chill Mainiacs...Thanks, Phil...THIS was my antidote for Roseland. Big Smiles
"don't shake the tree if the fruit aint ripe!!!' ;)

see ya at the peaking beacon. have fun....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cryptical (Cryptical) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 11:48 am: Edit Post

Angel BLand

That tune does nothing for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colt (Colt) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 12:42 pm: Edit Post

not to belabor the point, but just to clarify...

"mediocre" was cryptical's word a few posts above mine. P&F continuously raise the bar to ubelieveable heights, and so when they don't climb quite so high on any particular night, it might be a disappointment to some. I'm saying that even when someone thinks it's mediocre, it's still really hot.

Not that I thought it was mediocre.... I'd say, though, that Lewiston wasn't a monumental show. It was superbly played (tighter than ever), had a totally casual vibe, and (surprisingly) the venue sounded incredible. And I loved the fact that Jimmy was out in front. But for my money, instead of a bunch of well-played songs, I prefer the show-long extended jams, when you can't even remember the song they're playing.

That being said, any Phil is good Phil. I'll gladly take whatever he's giving out, especially so close to the back woods of northern new hampshire, where, as Phil says, not a whole lot of music comes along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By REDNECK (Redneck) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 01:12 pm: Edit Post

>>"any Phil is good Phil. I'll gladly take whatever he's giving out"

Gratitude, not attitude...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cryptical (Cryptical) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 02:01 pm: Edit Post

Colt

Dead on, my friend...the vibe at Lewiston was great...even the security people sped up the process as we got closer to show time knowing how anal we are as Dead/Philheads about being inside

Some people are jam oriented, some are setlist oriented...and while some setlists look good on paper they may blow a rod musically and while some setlists look shitty on paper, they rip it a new ass jam wise..

Call me part of the setlist camp.

It was still a good time. I went solo to the show and had one of the best times meeting the northern locals and tons of Canucks who came down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peten (Peten) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit Post

>It was still a good time. I went solo to the show and had one of the best times meeting the northern locals and tons of Canucks who came down.

Couldn't find anyone that would put up with your gas all the way to Maine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cash Elver (Elver) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 06:29 pm: Edit Post

Partied hardy at this show. give it to er godamn er

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LessThan (Lessthan) on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 06:49 pm: Edit Post

amazing how different the posts are from one show to the next

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin St. Clair (Shakedown04092) on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 - 12:20 pm: Edit Post

The Lewiston show was ok...not as much energy as the shummer shows, but I look forward to the Orpheum shows in Boston. I will be there Wednesday and Saturday. The first set in Lewiston kind of dragged, and the openers were laxadazical???(i know i didnt spell that one right) but you know what i mean. They didnt come out with a full head of steam. The second set was much better, but they did not do a whole lot of jamming at all, and i was suprised. pretty straight forward night. we all had a good time, though...and what a great venue to see a show at. the place was MAYBE half full which was cool. plenty of room to dance and move, and Phil did make a REALLY NICE comment on how he "is thrilled to come to places that are out of the way like this one" he said, because he knows "some people dont get to do a whole lot of traveling, so it's an honor" for him to play here. it was really cool. what a good guy he is! i live in portland, maine, and he's right- not a whole lot of cool bands pass through here like they do in NY, PA, CT, NJ or VT. Highlight of the night: Loose Lucy, definitely. their first time playing it and they did it justice. definitely a crowd pleaser. i was suprised to hear Rider AND GDTRFB in the same set, and only 1 song apart. good show though. phil & friends, even on an ok night, still beats the heck out of any band out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RC (Dreamdad) on Sunday, November 25, 2001 - 09:57 pm: Edit Post

Thought I'd wait to experience the two (Fri/Sat) Orpheum shows before reviewing Lewiston. Strongly agree w/Colt on this one.

The vibe was relaxed and fun for crowd and band, sound was surprisingly good and clear, the band very tight. This show lacked extended spacey jamming like the killer Friday Orpheum show, but did feature some cool jams.

Personal highlights - 1st set
Masons Children > Just a Little Light (never a big fan of this one, but Warren rips a classic solo) and the Casey was the usual great rocker.
2nd set
Everything through Built to Last. Killer jamming w/Jimmy stepping out on his Paul Reed Smith. Noticed that Jimmy was a little more prominent in these last three shows compared to the summer shows - maybe just his tone and volume and the smaller venues. Best Terrapin I've seen yet. I could hande The Eleven any show, brought me back to Hartford from this summer. Fun Loose Lucy to end the night.

Nice to see some good friends and family from near and away that night. Was also able to bring a fellow musician and close friend for his first Phil and Friends show. Good one for his first.

Peace

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith eaton (Arachnid) on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 01:23 pm: Edit Post

i agree with the ole appreciation thing, and wonder why it is that people can't simply be grateful to phil for creating a scene at all. we are lucky to have this little revival -- lot scene, burritos, a few beers. . .

having few chances to get out to tour, etc., i relish the fact that i ran into old friends, etc. unlike the orpheum, there was plenty of room to move around inside lewiston, and i was brought back to the "off-night" shows i'd experienced back in the mid- to late-80s, when tickets were easy, people were camping and the vibe was mellow. IMHO, the beer soaked, sweaty crowd of 11/24 was borderline ozz-fest offensive. in order for phil to be heard, cutler and crew cranked up the volume to distortion levels and the jam was all rock and roll. what it did do, however, was make me appreciate the chill scene of lewiston, the slow to develop jams in terrapin that evoked an old mystic beauty while dancers seemingly tip-toed around each other and the audience was quiet because they were listening: how novel.

of course, some would prefer to be hit over the head with hard rocking jams, but that is a lot easier to do than to allow slow and quiet spaces that require musicians and audience to offer up resepectful listening.

ciao

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cryptical (Cryptical) on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 05:18 pm: Edit Post

I'll take beer soaked ozz fest offensive over a crowd of zombies in a black tar heroin induced stupor any day of the week.

That's why the Dead played the East Coast on Saturday nights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zen (Zen) on Monday, November 26, 2001 - 11:48 pm: Edit Post

>beer soaked ozz fest offensive<
hey, i resemble that remark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sideshow Bob (Drkstrjry) (64.12.107.154) on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 07:03 pm: Edit Post

Lewiston ME Sunday 11/18/01: Length: 74’/97’ Rating: 4.5 My tour flu is kicking into high gear as we drive through Mass and NH, but enthusiasm not dampened enough to miss out on a cheap NH liquour stockup. Open Sundays! X-Mas presents purchased, head stash renewed, spirits lifted in more ways than one! After an unscheduled tour of town trying to find the venue, we broke down and asked directions from the underage teens buying smokes at the local quickie mart. We eventually found the place on top of a hill in the middle of residential neighborhoods. It was a dark and foreboding place. No sooner had I got out and opened my last Molson Canadian beer, a bruiser of a security guard made me pour it out as 5 trustafarians walked by each with a beer and smoking a doob. How’s that for reverse discrimination? Then, to top it off, they’re soundchecking Loose Lucy! OK, so enter the venue already in a bad mood, reminded this was where Muhammad Ali won his first title fight (did Don King set this up?). Inside was the grimy-est place I have ever been in my life. Every surface touched left a thick black film on your skin/hands/clothes. Damn, I felt pretty fustigated already. Set up in a 1" thick layer of grime behind the board. Even at showtime, the place was more than half empty. A cavernous arched roof made me know the sound would be worse than Chicago. And how it was. They tried to get some jamming going during the opening Friend of the Devil, which was decent, but then the set just completely hit the skids as dived into the dreaded Dread. Mason’s initially perked me up, but it ended up being the shortest, least inspired version ever, and jumped immediately into the reprehensible Little Light. I tried to wander the halls as I usually do for Brent songs, but this joint had absolutely nowhere to go! Only a rear hall. They did have awesome clam fritters and the food was cheap, and it was another beer-free venue! I couldn’t have dreamed up a worse setlist for the last 3 songs of the 1st set. Ugh! Here I must say I am eternally grateful Phil is alive and well and playing this music, but damn, this 1st set sucked dogshit ass! The second set got off to a great start with the jam-Terrapin-11-Terrapin sandwich, during which my preamp died again, justice prevailing upon me again! The Built to Last was decent enough, although the sound had only improved marginally by this time, and their playing was the least energetic of any of the GA venue shows. Then, another Rider out of nowhere and into nothing dealt this show another pummelling. Again, I couldn’t have chosen a worse setlist than ‘Rider/Sugaree/Goin Down for the heart of the second set. This was capped off by a good but wasted version of Angel Band, which I had to force myself to enjoy. The Encore qualifies for WORST BREAKOUT EVER. Loose Lucy had become so overplayed the last years of the GD, and sung by Rob just made it immediately as unwelcome as the Jed or Ramble. Utterly depressed, about the show, the venue, the loss of my Canadian beer, the loss of my tape rig, it was now time to drive 5 hours, sleep 6 hours, go back to work while going to the hometown shows. This show is tied with Louisville for worst show of tour, and was overall probably much worse, only the Terrapin-11-Terrapin providing some redemption. This was also the shortest show of tour at 171’. That is saying something for PLQ, as that was a LONG GD show length the last 15 years, and they had drums and space! I would have rather stayed home and taken this show off, but who knew in advance? Phil did make a nice comment about how he is bringing music to a corner of the world rarely visited. Dylan has a similar philosophy with his tour scheduling.